Fetal Monitoring Device Prototyping
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics, Medical, Biological and other Sciences
- This internship is able to cover project costs for both domestic and international students.
- The Industry Partner has implemented appropriate preparations to comply with Federal and State Government requirements regarding COVID-19 safety. Due to remote arrangements, this internship is now accepting applications from eligible PhD students nationwide.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
VitalTrace is a medical device company aiming to improve outcomes for mothers and children during labour and delivery. They seek to usher in a new age of childbirth monitoring, both minimalist in its application and much safer and reliable than current practice.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- VitalTrace is a fast-paced, growing medical device and technology company.
- This is an opportunity to help create models and software for a medical device that will be used to save babies and mother’s lives during childbirth.
- You will be working with world-first data obtained from the prototype which leverages cutting edge medical device technology.
- Develop entrepreneurial skills (both founders have compled multiple accelerator courses in addition to founding and obtaining private investment for VitalTrace).
- Opportunity to work with project partners and engineering teams in India, Norway and Melbourne.
- Opportunity to provide your input into a key project for a key client and have your ideas heard and vision realised.
- Opportunity to be a key part of a small team and present your work and findings to a senior executive team who support diverse thinking.
- Potential for ongoing employment depending on project outcomes, candidates desires and discovered pipeline of work.
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
Monitoring of babies during childbirth is aimed at diagnosing lack of oxygen in a timely manner, allowing clinicians to intervene appropriately. The idea test measures biomarkers in the blood, but in a continuous manner that adapts to the dynamic process of labour. VitalTrace’s prototype obtains continuous data about specific biomarkers in the body of animals and humans. This is currently being correlated with gold-standard blood tests to assess accuracy and precision of our prototype. VitalTrace are currently testing the device in small and large animal models, ahead of pilot clinical trials.
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Experience in Object Oriented programming (e.g C++, Python, Java)
- Statistical Modelling and Mathematical Background
- Software development experience (GUI development)
- Signal processing experience in ECG or EEG
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Research and Experimentation Experience
- Electronics background and prototyping experience
- Previous experience working with Medical Devices or Medical Technology highly desirable
- Biological Sciences background
- Machine Learning/AI
The key outcomes of the project will be a fully developed proof of concept system, developed in collaboration with VitalTrace and their development partners and suppliers. The system should be stand-alone, and sufficient for animal trials and will be capable of continuously acquiring, modelling and displaying biological parameters.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN