Composite Panels for Military Shelters
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
- Due to the sensitivity and security of this project, students must have Australian Citizenship to apply. Students also need to be enrolled in one of the following universities; Macquarie University, The University of Newcastle, The University of New South Wales, The University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney, University of Wollongong or Western Sydney University. Any applicants not meeting this requirement will automatically be deemed ineligible for the applied project.
- The Industry Partner has implemented appropriate preparations to comply with Federal and State Government requirements regarding COVID-19 safety. Due to remote arrangements, this internship is now accepting applications from eligible PhD students nationwide.
- This research internship is funded in partnership with New South Wales Defence Innovation Network
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
Varley is now a 134-year-old Australian owned company delivering vehicle and defence products to customer’s bespoke requirements. Varley Defence & Aerospace has been a recognised supplier of engineered military products since establishment in the early 1980s. Providing customers with an unrivalled and comprehensive range of services, Varley Defence & Aerospace can take projects from conceptual design through to product manufacture, complete with through-life support.
Operating from facilities located in Tomago NSW, just over 25 minutes from Newcastle and 2 hours from Sydney, Varley Defence & Aerospace has earned a reputation; locally, nationally and internationally, as a supplier of outstanding work, a manufacturer of quality products and a provider of unsurpassed service.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Opportunity to work directly with Continuous Improvement Manager and PhD Technology Improvement Engineer
- Opportunity to work within a large team of designers and engineers in defence industry
- Opportunity to work with a large manufacturer in defence industry
- Opportunity to engage directly with senior executive management team
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
Varley have been providing military shelters to Australian and international customers since 1990 with little advancement in both product and manufacturing technology. However, the design and production for these products are typically lengthy and costly; both factors which contribute to a loss of competiveness and future relevance.
Varley recognises that technology of shelter panels material is impertive and that adoption of techniques leading to cost effective and optimised functionality of product.
- Research on best practice shelter panel development in regards to light weighting, new commercially available materials, sufficient radio frequency isolating, lower thermal conductivity
- Research and determine the potential changes in current panel production
- Propose new panel production processes to Varley group
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Mechanical engineer is preferred
- Strong knowledge on composites and new materials that commercially available
- Strong knowledge on heat transfer
Please note: research outcomes are to be negotiated and agreed upon with the selected candidate during the project plan stage.
- To provide recommendations on optimise design delivery lead time
- To provide recommendations on shelter panel composition
- To provide recommendations for production process
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN