Cybersecurity for Distributed Imaging Systems
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
Rapiscan Systems is a global leading designer, manufacturer and supplier of security technology equipment for use in airport security, port and border security and the protection of public spaces such as government buildings, hotels and sporting stadiums.
Rapiscan Systems is also working with government, industry and academic partners in Australia and New Zealand to develop solutions based on its real-time 3D X-ray computed tomography baggage screening system to automatically detect biosecurity risks at airports and mail pathways, such that these can be confiscated before becoming a risk to the rural economy.
The object of this program is to implement the cybersecurity best practice into production real-time modern C++, web-based UI, Windows, Linux and embedded environment combination of standalone, on-prem and cloud.
Rapiscan Systems will utilise 2-3 interns to support its Research and Development program in Australia. The positions will be based alongside the Rapiscan Systems Software and Algorithm Development team in St Leonards, Sydney, NSW. The Rapiscan Systems Software and Algorithm Development team for this project comprises seven engineers in Sydney and a further 30 engineers internationally. The focus of this team is 2D and 3D image processing and signal analysis.
Research to be Conducted
Research into the process of development, deployment and remote monitoring a scientific computing project:
- Research into cybersecurity trends and security methodologies
- Familiar with security topics – access control, configuration, vulnerability analysis, logging, and monitoring
- Research, development and implementation of security tools, methods, and procedures that make security realistic and integrated into software development and update processes
- Share research findings and liaise with global software team to meet cybersecurity requirements and business performance goals
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Strong Kubernetes architecture
- Solid knowledge to deploy cluster application on-prem and cloud
- Familiar with in network and Windows and Linux system administration
- Compliance experience preferred
- Data encryption methodologies
- Familiar with Auth, SSO solutions, and authentication & authorisation solution best practices
- Evaluate and analyse requirements and operational problems.
- Design and implement efficient, reliable and scalable applications.
- Deliver high quality production code: robust, performant, maintainable and cyber secure
- Integrate and contribute to the team’s continuous integration and development process
- Integrate, test and deploy the software to a variety of systems
- Stay on the leading edge of development practices
In addition, the interns shall be expected to provide recommendations for future work to be conducted under this research and development program. These ideas may be subsequently worked on by members of the full-time engineering staff or future interns. Interns shall be encouraged to publish their work in the scientific literature in partnership with their academic and industry mentors.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours, spending at least 80% of their time on-site with the industry partner. The intern will be expected to maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN