Automated Refinement Settings for a Fall or Seizure Alerts
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
- This internship is able to cover project costs for domestic students only.
- This research internship is funded in partnership with MTPConnect.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
My Medic Watch® allows people who experience falls, epilepsy or people with a chronic illness to get immediate care and assistance when they fall or have a seizure so they can keep their autonomy.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Developments and improvements on the latest smartwatch technologies
- Utilising data from patients for researching best AI/ML tools for the healthcare industry
- Knowledge sharing with a small and dynamic team
- Ability to research and design a model that would improve quality of fall / seizure automatic detection wellbeing solution app.
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
The research would be to build a ML model to analyse a large amount of patient data using the My Medic Watch application already on the market. Data, obtained from smartwatch sensors including movement, accelerometer and heart rate that provide “monitoring” data, in addition to recorded on each medical episode (fall or seizure) can be used for analysis and building a ML model for improving the automatic medical episode detection. This can be done by changing settings that are used by the algorithm running on the smartwatch.
The ML model could be use to include a notification for prevention of fall or seizure, rather than just an alert after a medical episode,
The research can be used to analyse and define patient “profiles” and provide improved notification and advice from the app (from a prevention point of view),
The research outcome would be to improve the accuracy of the detection of falls and seizures to provide a tailored/individualised app to help patients with regards to specific requirements/medical needs. Prototypes would need to be built for testing, usability and go-to market healthcare solution.
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Data scientist with AI/ML knowledge and experience
- Software programming language used for building ML models
- Mobile app software development is desirable
- Practical experience in building, deploying and testing ML models in a product development context using software engineering best practices
- Experience with AWS cloud development, edge deployment, natural language processing.
- Experience with a range of AI tools and techniques.
The outcome for the research would be to build a prototype for a mobile app to improve the accuracy of the automatic fall or seizure prediction and subsequent notification.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of scholarship payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN