Big Data Processing, Analysis and Visualisation
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
- This internship is able to cover project costs for domestic students only.
- The Industry Partner has implemented appropriate preparations to comply with Federal and State Government requirements regarding COVID-19 safety. Due to remote arrangements, this internship is now accepting applications from eligible PhD students nationwide.
- This research internship is funded in partnership with New South Wales Defence Innovation Network. Students need to be enrolled in one of the following universities; Macquarie University, The University of Newcastle, The University of New South Wales, The University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney, University of Wollongong or Western Sydney University. Any applicants not meeting this requirement will automatically be deemed ineligible for this project.
Mellori Solutions specialise in the testing, training, and operation of electronic warfare (EW) equipment, mainly utilised by the Australian Defence Force. Mellori also has a research and development unit which focusses on designing and implementing novel EW technologies and solutions.
Mellori is a proudly Australian-owned company and renowned as a leader in sovereign EW services. The engineering team within Mellori specialises in RF design, electronic design, and the manufacturing of specialised EW equipment. Leveraging engineering and mathematics, the aim is to create systems that will help protect Australians against external threats, specifically within the RF domain.
Mellori has been contracted to review and analyse a large collection of radio frequency data which could ultimately be used to provide situational awareness within the radio spectrum to defence. An initial analysis of data set has already been conducted to determine the integrity and basic statistical makeup of the data. The data set comprises many gigabytes of data that was recorded over a 24-hour period, yet it only acts as a sample data set. Ultimately, terabytes of data will have to be processed with the tools and techniques identified within this section of the project. Consequently, is it imperative that efficient data processing techniques are identified, and that the solution is scalable.
Mellori Solutions need a PhD intern to help drive and lead their RF data processing task by working with Mellori‘s design team collaboratively. The intern will have access to real RF big data; join a team with experimental mindsets and a passion for research and development. The internship will include both technical and defence industry experience. Prior knowledge of radio spectrum and electronic warfare fields are not required.
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
- Research and explore the feasibility of different data processing tools, such as Apache Spark in collaboration with Scala / Python.
- Pre-process or convert the raw binary data files into a suitable data structure, such as a DataFrame, while removing redundant fields and parameters.
- Implement and evaluate novel data analysis techniques to identify networks, relationships, patterns, outliers, and anomalous behaviours within the data set.
- Experiment with various data visualisation techniques to best present the data and to highlight any of the above-mentioned features.
SKILLS WISH LIST
We are looking for a PhD student with the following:
- Computer Science, Data Analysis or Data Science, Machine Learning
- Research, design, implement and evaluate novel algorithms for extracting patterns and finding anomalous behaviour within a data set
- Experience processing, analysing and visualising big data
- Ability to clean, transform, merge, and filter data using programming languages such as Scala or Python while implementing the solution on a scalable cluster-computing framework such as Apache Spark
- Experience working with large data sets and Deep Learning algorithms
The aim is to develop a space AND assortment-planning tool that allows the client to:
- Identify an appropriate programming language and cluster-computing framework to efficiently process the data that will also allow the implementation to be scalable.
- Automate the input of raw binary data files into a suitable processing environment and demonstrate techniques for the display of information and data collected.
- The project will be successful if the data can be processed, filtered, and displayed visually to the extent that it will provide an operator with a clear understanding of the RF environment surrounding the recording device.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN