UX Design and Build
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
- Due to Defence Security clearance requirements, applicants will need to be an Australian Citizen or eligible to quickly obtain Australian Citizenship.
- The Industry Partner has implemented appropriate preparations to comply with Federal and State Government requirements regarding COVID-19 safety. Due to remote arrangements, this internship is now accepting applications from eligible PhD students nationwide.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
Insitec is a locally owned and operated company, formed in 2001 to provide Canberra and the surrounding region with services in development, implementation and management of IT solutions. Local businesses, defence and government agencies continue to turn to Insitec for advice, technology services and reliable managed solutions.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Opportunity to work with a locally owned company on strategic defence projects and gain practical experience in IT systems for battle management systems.
- Develop industry networks and improve employability by working in a team to deliver software in a structured development environment.
- Possible employment opportunity post internship.
Defence operates a number of different platforms and methods for interacting with those platforms. Depending on how the interface will interact with the platform the operator may require multiple instances of training to have the ability to operate a multiple platform. MINERVA will be deployed across a number of different Defence platforms. Users will require training in the use of MINERVA which, depending on the platform, will require different system integrations.
By investigating ways to design an open User Experience that allows an operator to be trained on multiple platforms with a generic interface for the system, the amount of training required can be reduced.
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
- How can a user experience the same interface between multiple platform types (desktop, Tablet, Mobile, GVA Screen with Compute) ensure GVA compliance when required?
- Are there any benefits to the operators to be able to customise the interface to meet their own requirements or should the interface be static and the same for each and every user?
- How can new system components be added to the platform without changing the UX, how can training be reduced for new systems if the process for interaction is the same as other systems?
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
The expected outcome from this project is the production of a software model that will enable a UX to be deployed across any platform to support the front end of the MINERVA Platform, while reducing the amount of training required to use the user interface and keep commonality between platforms.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN