Preservative Free Dips
Medical, Biological and other Sciences
- This internship is able to cover project costs for domestic students only.
- The Industry Partner has implemented appropriate preparations to comply with Federal and State Government requirements regarding COVID-19 safety. Due to remote arrangements, this internship is now accepting applications from eligible PhD students nationwide.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
Fresh Fodder was established in Orange NSW by Max Schofield in 2008. They are a small and proud producer of hand-crafted dips and soups with a philosophy to produce great products that exhibit wonderful flavours and represents good value for money.
The Fresh Fodder range of dips are perfect for entertaining or grazing on, and their customers are known to travel far and wide to purchase their Taramosalata.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Opportunity to be innovative in your approach to develop preservative free dips
- Gain FMCG industry experience and work within a small result driven and supportive team
- Gain product development and ingredient experience within the dip sector
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
Fresh Fodder are looking to remain current in their everchanging market and respond to their market’s needs and wants. They have been asked by a major customer to remove the preservative potassium sorbate from their dip range and are looking at options to do this without reducing shelf life or impacting the flavour of the dips. Extended shelf would also be advantageous.
Fresh Fodder require the preservative potassium sorbate to be removed from the entire range of
Fresh Fodder dips. This may be done through the use of natural preservatives, packaging or through any other option without the use of any ingredients containing e numbers. There must be no negative impact on flavour or product quality and no reduction in current shelf life. The preferred approach is not to invest heavily in capital expenditure but rather to utilise existing plant. They will however look at opportunities that require further investment as a matter of interest only at this stage.
Fresh Fodder will require shelf life trials to be conducted and supported with sensory and microbiological testing.
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Food Science
Please note: research outcomes are to be negotiated and agreed upon with the selected candidate during the project plan stage.
- A solution to “E” numbers using new methods or natural preservatives that enables us to manufacture our product in the same or similar way whilst maintaining or improving the –
- Flavour profile
- Tactile feel
- Visual appearance
- Shelf life, although extended shelf life would be advantageous
- Other outcomes may discover
- Potential solutions using new machinery, although Capital Expenditure is not budgeted for in this project this time around
- Discovery that uncovers potential marketing benefits including – health etc.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN