Algorithm for Electrical Power Cable Modelling
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
- This internship is able to cover project costs for domestic students only.
- The Industry Partner has implemented appropriate preparations to comply with Federal and State Government requirements regarding COVID-19 safety. Due to remote arrangements, this internship is now accepting applications from eligible PhD students nationwide.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
Electrotechnik provides commercial solutions to the electrical industry using innovative software for a world-wide market. The Electrotechnik team invests in engineering, development, customer support and design. Its software is developed and supported by an experienced team of electrical and software engineers.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Work directly with the technical director.
- Work within an innovative software company.
- Learn how to develop and apply mathematical modelling skills to solve industry problems.
- We have several hosted several interns from APR Interns and received excellent feedback.
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
Electrotechnik has developed software for engineers used for designing electrical earthing systems. This research project will be about extending the ability of the algorithms.
The aim of the research is to develop a numerical software algorithm. The results obtained from this algorithm shall agree with published results and study data available.
Research project will cover:
- Researching the numerical methods based for calculating electrical power cable ratings under the installation conditions of multiple duct banks and multiple backfills as well as for multiple casings.
- Build a software model for performing the calculations in Matlab or equivalent.
- Conduct validation tests of the results.
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Strong mathematical modelling ability.
- Strong coding skills using Matlab.
- Electrical Engineering degree.
The objective is to develop and build a software calculation algorithm for performing electrical power cable current ratings for specialised installation conditions.
- Extensive literature review.
- Software design model and specifications.
- Software source code – well-structured and commented.
- Testing and validation report.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN