Spray Dryer Optimisation
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
This internship is able to cover project costs for domestic students only.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
Botanical Innovations is a manufacturer of nutraceutical flavours, fragrances and ingredients for health and wellness applications. Their products include essential oils, plant extracts, fermentations and powders.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Opportunity to work with Botanical Innovations team to optimise spray drying technology
- Learn about and work on distillation of essential oils
- Learn about and work on the extraction of phytonutrients from plants
- Work in a small team with a lot of hands on practical work experience, research and development and technology design
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
Botanical Innovations currently has 3 spray dryers, a laboratory spray dryer, a pilot spray dryer and a commercial spray dryer and will be installing another two commercial spray dryers over the next 12 to 18 months.
The spray dryers are used to manufacture Botanical Innovations products including Apple Cider Vinegar Powder which has a high acetic acid content, wine powders and botanical extracts. The dryers are also used to undertake research and development projects for third parties and toll manufacturing.
The project will involve determining optimum air pressures, atomisation versus nozzle flow rates to determine optimum particle sizes and assistance a review of the design of compressed airs system to optimised production.
If time allows the project will also look at raw material production of the products to be spray dried this will include review of maltodextrin DE values, botanical extraction and essential oil production.
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Chemical Engineering
- Understanding of food and pharmaceutical production requirements
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in a small team
- Ability to be hands and practical
At the end of the project the desired outcomes will be:
- Documented optimum spray drying conditions for each of Botanical Innovations products.
- A designed and implement compressed air system to optimise spray drying production.
- Increased production yields.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of scholarship payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours and maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
Applications are reviewed regularly and this internship may be filled prior to the advertised closing date if a suitable applicant is identified. Early submissions are encouraged.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN