Data Analytics and Visualisation for Engineering Workflows and Business Intelligence
Engineering, IT, Mathematics and Statistics
Applications for this opportunity are ongoing, multiple projects available for PhD candidates.
This internship is able to cover project costs for both domestic and international students.
ABOUT THE INDUSTRY PARTNER
Aurecon is an engineering, design and advisory company, but not as you know it. We’ve reimagined engineering.
Our clients’ ideas and aspirations drive all that we do. We work alongside them like no other firm to co-create clever, innovative solutions to some of the world’s most complex challenges, adding value across the project lifecycle through deep technical and advisory expertise. We serve our clients across a range of markets and international locations. Hardwired in our DNA are engineering, design and the deep need to leave a legacy. We are as diverse as we are dynamic. As curious as we are clever.
Drawing on our deep pool of knowledge, we bring vital engineering experience, technical capability and design expertise to the table. Then we listen deeply and intently. We see the opportunities, possibilities and potential that others don’t. Through a range of unique creative processes and skills, we collaborate with our clients to re-imagine, shape and design a better future.
We believe humanity depends on engineering; and we recognise we have a broader stewardship role to play. A deep responsibility to hold. As we continually strive for a life in balance, Aurecon clients will be both future ready and engineered for life.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- The intern will work alongside Aurecon’s data science team where permanent employment opportunities may exist after the completion of the internship.
- It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours, spending at least 80% of their time on-site with the industry partner.
- Collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams and stakeholders is expected, spanning industry subject matter experts and software development teams.
RESEARCH TO BE CONDUCTED
Aurecon works on some of Australia’s largest engineering and construction projects (eg. Melbourne Metro and Westgate Tunnel). Such projects encompass complex systems and interrelated processes. Similarly, in engineering design, operational process workflows and resource allocation. The ability to simultaneously process, analyse and present associated information in a meaningful way is a substantial constraint on the adoption of more advanced digital technologies and realisation of business potential.
This requires more effective data capture and a deeper understanding of the content. Emerging capabilities across data analytics and machine learning are presenting opportunities to more easily measure, monitor, assess and adjust system performance by integrating data from diverse sources.
The organisation is seeking data science expertise, particularly in data integration, system modelling and visualisation, with a view to more effectively exploring observational data. The outcome of which will enable optimising system performance through the mining and analysis of existing data sets as well as the incorporation of data/information from external data sources.
This expertise is necessary to improve industry practice for trend analysis, anomaly detection, process management and resource allocation by better understand the operating environment, requirements and potential efficiency gains.
- Designing the data analysis methodologies
Designing the data analysis methodologies to best support Aurecon teams analyse and understand data characteristics and associated features of interest. Also undertake design of methods to analyse and track changes and trends.
- Data visualisation and analysis functionality
Design of visualisations and associated data pipelines of analysis support and presentation of results.
- Deployment of new version of requirements analysis tool
Work with Aurecon data scientists and software developers to develop and implement functionality.
- Testing and validating with delivery teams
Test and validate effectiveness of the analysis with delivery teams and recommend changes and refinements where appropriate
SKILLS WISH LIST
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Data science related degree
- Software development/programming experience (e.g. Python, R)
- Experience in statistical/data mining/data science/machine learning/text mining tools
- Knowledge of algorithms, data structure and feature engineering
- Data visualisation design and implementation
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong written & verbal communication
- Database architecture and design experience
- Large volume and complex data analysis experience
- Engineering background in current/previous study or employment
Outcomes of the project would be a report outlining research findings and proposed frameworks, approaches and methodologies.
- The report will provide recommendations on how Aurecon could further develop the framework and how it can be adjusted for changing market scenarios.
- A working prototype of the functionality for associated use-cases is required.
- A final presentation will be delivered by the intern at the end of the project period to Aurecon staff.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours, spending at least 80% of their time on-site with the industry partner. The intern will be expected to maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
CONNECT WITH APR.INTERN