APAC Defence Market Analysis – Project MARS
Location: Heatherton, VIC
Duration: 5 months
Note: Due to the sensitivity and security of this project, students must have Australian Citizenship to apply. Any applicants not meeting this requirement will automatically be deemed ineligible for this project.
This research internship is funded in partnership with Defence Science Institute.
Moog Australia has recently been transferred from the Moog Industrial Group to become the regional Asia Pacific headquarters for the Moog Space and Defence group, providing a substantial growth opportunity for both domestic and export activities.
This research project will focus on conducting a market analysis for defence market applications of Moog product lines in the Australasian and Asia Pacific Regions. This research aims to identify key markets and defence platform opportunities, potential supply chain partners and emerging opportunities, to focus future research and development activities.
Research to be Conducted
To date no detailed defence market analysis has been conducted to identify opportunities within key markets, platform applications, supply chain partners and/or potential “value adding resellers”. In consultation with the successful candidate and Academic Mentor, the research to be conducted would include:
- Conducting an Asia Pacific Defence market analysis
- Including size, scope of market, product alignment and export limits
- Identify priority markets and opportunities to direct business development resources
- Identify potential Merger & Acquisition Targets to support strategy
- Identify emerging technology requirements to inform internal Research and Development planning.
Recommendations will be made in consultation with Moog Australia’s team.
Example: Military Vehicle reports as an input to the analysis
If you’re a PhD student and meet some or all the below we want to hear from you. We strongly encourage women, indigenous and disadvantaged candidates to apply:
- Background in Mechatronics
- Comprehensive understanding of EM/EH technology
- Business acumen
- Good understanding of commercial outcomes and economic structures and requirements
- Understanding of global business and how different countries work and development from the economic perspective (Desirable, not requirement)
- Defence experience and knowledge (Desirable, not requirement)
The outcomes from the market analysis would include a comprehensive report that addresses the following questions for the organisation:
- What is the current APAC defence technologies environment? (extending to vehicle type, age and install base)
- Where are the install bases in Asia Pacific?
- Who are the key competitors in this region?
- What are the gaps in the market? And Where do the opportunities for Moog product & portfolio set sit?
- Is there an opportunity for an Australian solution?
- Agency versus direct interaction
Additionally, the report will also include the following:
- Identification of barriers to entry (SWOT/PESTLE analysis)
- JV & Acquisition Targets (exploration of business case with Australia and wider Asia Pacific)
- Impact to Moog Resources on skills and resources (SWOT/PESTLE analysis and skill gap analysis)
- Conclusion – ‘So what aspect’ (Recommendations for future research and direction with above research outcomes)
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours, spending at least 80% of their time on-site with the industry partner. The intern will be expected to maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
5 February 2020
APR – 1102