Competitor Market Analysis of the Medical Tourism Industry
Location: Sydney, NSW
Duration: 5 months
Proposed start date: July 2019
The medical tourism industry is an increasing sector and projected to become a multi-billion dollar market. Elite Medical Tourism is a new start up designed to facilitate specialised medical treatment in Australia for overseas clients. Unlike many other medical tourism models which involve commission payments to hospitals or healthcare practitioners, this tourism model will be directly charging clients for access to the best tailored medical treatment for their condition, and arranging all aspects of their Australian visit including tourism activities.
A website has been created to facilitate the logistics flow for medical tourism operation by Elite Medical Tourism’s WebMaster. This would benefit from a review to look at potential challenges, particularly where overseas clients are concerned.
Elite Medical Tourism is interested in contributions from a research student who has experience and interest in marketing or health management. A key part of the role will be discussing with potential stakeholders such as health insurers and therefore excellent communication skills are essential.
Research to be Conducted
- Identify the main barriers to implementation of a tailored medical tourism model in Australia including challenges around visa issues, health insurance coverage and payment provision.
Contact details for major insurers and visa agencies will be provided. Secure payment provision options for high net wealth clients to be explored include contacting relevant branches of credit card and banking groups.
- Identify current challenges in website logistics in close conjunction with company WebMaster and assist in providing appropriate website content
The website has already been created and a logistics flow organised. This would benefit from an external perspective and content on the website geared to the overseas high net worth client to be reviewed and modified if appropriate.
- Formulate strategies to identify high net-worth individuals in overseas countries and market plan
Relevant marketing channels include airline magazines, fashion, luxury travel and car magazines. These can be explored further with respect to a few target countries and help advise of potential advertising targets for Elite Medical Tourism.
We are looking for a PhD student with the following:
- Excellent research experience
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to self-manage
- Background in market research or business analytics
Outcomes will include:
- A report reviewing the current barriers to implementation of a tailored medical tourism model in Australia
- A report detailing website logistics flow and any relevant content changes made
- Final report and presentation to provide recommendations on which marketing strategies Elite Medical Tourism would be best placed to adopt and option for implementation for the overseas high net worth client
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours, spending at least 80% of their time on-site with the industry partner. The intern will be expected to maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
26 June 2019
APR – 0932