Software Engineer – Rapid Prototyping
Location: Docklands, VIC
Duration: 5 months
Proposed start date: ASAP
Keywords: Programming languages, Software Development Life Cycle, Communication, Analytics, Operating Systems
Advancements in digital technology present never-ending opportunity for improvement; improvements in how we run our organisations, improvements in peoples’ lives and improvements in the environment. Aurecon’s Digital Futures team exists to enable Aurecon and their clients to use technology to drive positive change. This team has a single focus, on understanding and utilising digital innovation. They actively explore emerging trends and technologies (referred to as Horizon 3), and work in parallel with delivery teams to help them imagine how their specific domains might be improved and complemented through the use of these emerging trends and technologies.
Core to Aurecon’s innovation DNA is its methodology around executing experiments and prototypes to find the quickest and cheapest way to prove new ideas, technologies and business models in a real-world environment. The Digital Advisory program is designed to assist both internal teams and clients to leverage this new way of working to deliver tangible solutions. To do this they use lean principles, iterative agile development, multi-functional teams and lightweight development concepts, for example, micro services on the cloud.
Research to be Conducted
As part of an agile digital development team the intern will support Aurecon to develop prototypes specific to an articulated strategic vision for new products and services. If you are someone who enjoys innovating, solving hard problems and working on cutting edge technology, they would love to have you on their team. The Digital team is a hands-on group of cross functional developers building rapid MVP experiments adapted to specific and innovation-focused user cases.
Aurecon are looking for a PhD student with the following skills:
- Modern programming language such as net, C#, Java or Python
- Experience working with front-end frameworks such as Ember.js, Angular.js or React
- Understanding of operating system fundamentals (Windows)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practice for the full software development life cycle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem-solving abilities
The outcome of this project it to produce one or multiple technology solutions that improve business processes and project efficiency. You will also be establishing standards for conducting rapid MVP experiments and prototypes. There may be some travel required within Australia and New Zealand.
The intern will receive $3,000 per month of the internship, usually in the form of stipend payments.
It is expected that the intern will primarily undertake this research project during regular business hours, spending at least 80% of their time on-site with the industry partner. The intern will be expected to maintain contact with their academic mentor throughout the internship either through face-to-face or phone meetings as appropriate.
The intern and their academic mentor will have the opportunity to negotiate the project’s scope, milestones and timeline during the project planning stage.
To participate in the APR.Intern program, all applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be a PhD student currently enrolled at an Australian university
- PhD candidature must be confirmed
- Applicants must have the written approval of their Principal Supervisor to undertake the internship. This approval must be submitted at the time of application.
- Internships are also subject to any requirements stipulated by the student’s and the academic mentor’s university
29 August 2018
INT – 0441